QSC PLX at 2 ohms bridged?
mark
2004-09-20 15:17:01 UTC
Hello all, Can one QSC PLX 3402 bridged mono power 2 eaw la128s
safely? This would (I assume) run the amp at 2 ohms as each cabinet is
4 ohms. the qsc faq says:
The minimum rated impedance for an amplifier in bridge-mono is 8 ohms.
A 4 ohm load is possible as this represents a 2 ohm per channel
equivalent.

I have to admit, i don't understand what that means. Any of you guys
have advice? Application is weekend wedding band needing lots of
thump.

Thanks,
Mark Ellis
Blind Joni
2004-09-20 15:53:03 UTC
Post by mark
Hello all, Can one QSC PLX 3402 bridged mono power 2 eaw la128s
safely? This would (I assume) run the amp at 2 ohms as each cabinet is
4 ohms. t
Two 4 ohm cabs in parallel is a 2 ohm load..on a bridged amp that presents a 1
ohm load equivilant to each channel. Run one cab per channel at 4 ohms.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Hubert Barth
2004-09-20 16:12:11 UTC
Post by mark
Hello all, Can one QSC PLX 3402 bridged mono power 2 eaw la128s
safely? This would (I assume) run the amp at 2 ohms as each cabinet is
4 ohms.
Its very likely to shut down. That would represent 1 ohm to each side
of the amp.
Post by mark
The minimum rated impedance for an amplifier in bridge-mono is 8 ohms.
A 4 ohm load is possible as this represents a 2 ohm per channel
equivalent.
You will have to run it in parallel mono. 4 ohms per side.
If that is not enough power you will need a bigger amp.

regards
--
Hubert Barth
Cologne/Germany
http://www.bigbands.de
mark
2004-09-20 19:45:25 UTC
thanks guys, I clearly wasn't understanding that at all. I'll order
another PLX tomorrow.

regards
Jeff VFR
2004-09-30 04:04:32 UTC
btw, if its like my qsc rmx series, the input gains need to be set for
channel 1 only and channel 2 has to be off

--
Jeff

www.ohv.8m.com
dirt bike tech, pictures, and more
Post by mark
The minimum rated impedance for an amplifier in bridge-mono is 8 ohms.
A 4 ohm load is possible as this represents a 2 ohm per channel
equivalent.
You will have to run it in parallel mono. 4 ohms per side.
If that is not enough power you will need a bigger amp.
regards
---

George
2004-09-20 20:12:42 UTC
Post by mark
Hello all, Can one QSC PLX 3402 bridged mono power 2 eaw la128s
safely? This would (I assume) run the amp at 2 ohms as each cabinet is
The minimum rated impedance for an amplifier in bridge-mono is 8 ohms.
A 4 ohm load is possible as this represents a 2 ohm per channel
equivalent.
I have to admit, i don't understand what that means. Any of you guys
have advice? Application is weekend wedding band needing lots of
thump.
Thanks,
Mark Ellis
onex4 ohm or 2x 8 ohm boxes in bridge mode is all the amp can handle
George
onofrio
2004-09-21 19:10:57 UTC
Hi George, PLX 3402 can drive EAW, but remember:
go down -3dB if not,
-the led of Thermal Protection will light and it mute for ebout 10 Seconds.
-increase DAMPING FACTOR
-Increase WIRE diameter

in other word buy another PLX 3402.

Sincerly Onofrio
George
George
2004-09-21 19:35:22 UTC
Post by George
onex4 ohm or 2x 8 ohm boxes in bridge mode is all the amp can handle
George
I believe that is what I wrote
If you want to run the amp bridged you can only use one 4 ohnm speaker
otherwise you will damage the amp
Lord Valve

LV
George
2004-09-21 19:56:56 UTC
Post by mark
Hello all, Can one QSC PLX 3402 bridged mono power 2 eaw la128s
safely? This would (I assume) run the amp at 2 ohms as each cabinet is
The minimum rated impedance for an amplifier in bridge-mono is 8 ohms.
A 4 ohm load is possible as this represents a 2 ohm per channel
equivalent.
I have to admit, i don't understand what that means. Any of you guys
have advice? Application is weekend wedding band needing lots of
thump.
Thanks,
Mark Ellis
I do not think you need to go bridged for this application
run the two boxes in a paraell mode one 4ohm box per channel
you will have plenty of "thump"
Pooh Bear
2004-09-22 00:16:48 UTC
Post by George
Post by mark
Hello all, Can one QSC PLX 3402 bridged mono power 2 eaw la128s
safely? This would (I assume) run the amp at 2 ohms as each cabinet is
The minimum rated impedance for an amplifier in bridge-mono is 8 ohms.
A 4 ohm load is possible as this represents a 2 ohm per channel
equivalent.
I have to admit, i don't understand what that means. Any of you guys
have advice? Application is weekend wedding band needing lots of
thump.
Thanks,
Mark Ellis
I do not think you need to go bridged for this application
run the two boxes in a paraell mode one 4ohm box per channel
you will have plenty of "thump"
That would be my advice too.

Running '2 ohms' as opposed to 4 ohms, rarely actually gets much more power
out of an amplifier when you start to look at it in dB terms rather than the
big Watts numbers. dBs are logarithmic remember !

As an amplifier designer, I can assure you that 4 ohms per channel working
invariably 'suits' the componentry much better and there's *far* less less
chance of thermal shutdown.

Graham
Chad Wahls
2004-09-22 13:19:22 UTC
Post by George
Post by mark
Hello all, Can one QSC PLX 3402 bridged mono power 2 eaw la128s
safely? This would (I assume) run the amp at 2 ohms as each cabinet is
The minimum rated impedance for an amplifier in bridge-mono is 8 ohms.
A 4 ohm load is possible as this represents a 2 ohm per channel
equivalent.
I have to admit, i don't understand what that means. Any of you guys
have advice? Application is weekend wedding band needing lots of
thump.
Thanks,
Mark Ellis
I do not think you need to go bridged for this application
run the two boxes in a paraell mode one 4ohm box per channel
you will have plenty of "thump"
Awwww comon George everyone knows bridged is better, even in the day when
watts are dirt cheap :)

People see that "big" number and just gotta have it!

Chad